Without a doubt, QuickBooks is ground-breaking accounting and marketing software. Although it offers a comprehensive bookkeeping solution, it frequently makes a variety of mistakes. You can get comprehensive information about QuickBooks Error Code 1646 in this article.
This problem can occur while installing QuickBooks Accountant on a computer that already has a Premier installation from the same year or when installing QuickBooks Premier on a computer that already has QuickBooks Pro installed. Make sure to read this article till the end to fix QuickBooks error 1646.
What causes QuickBooks error 1646?
There could be several circumstances that could trigger QuickBooks Error Code 1646. Below are the main causes:
- Damaged Microsoft.NET Framework installation can lead to Error 1646 in QuickBooks.
- Making use of an out-to-date operating system can be a major contributor to the error.
- The temp folder may be completely filled.
- When opening a password-protected Company File.
- Corrupted Microsoft components.
Solutions to Resolve QuickBooks Error Code 1646
Follow the procedures below to fix the QuickBooks Error Message 1646:
Solution 1: Uninstall & reinstall QuickBooks Desktop
The first solution that has proven quite effective to fix QuickBooks error 1646 is the Clean installation of the QuickBooks software. You can follow the walkthrough provided below to uninstall and reinstall the QuickBooks software. Alternatively, you can also take the aid of the QuickBooks Clean Install Tool to perform the clean installation of QuickBooks.
Step 1: Take a note of your license and product keys
Before proceeding ahead with the uninstall process, make sure to take note of the license and product keys. For this, you should access the Product Information Window by hitting the F2 key after launching the QuickBooks software. Subsequently, take note of the keys.
Also, make sure to note down the product year and version.
Step 2: Uninstall QuickBooks desktop
- Open Control Panel by selecting it from the Start menu.
- Choose Programs and Features then opt for Uninstall a program.
- Choose the QuickBooks desktop version that’s giving you trouble.
- Hit on uninstall/change, then select Remove.
- Subsequently, hit on Next to start the uninstall process.
Step 3: Rename the QuickBooks folders manually or delete them
Now, be sure to manually rename the folders to guarantee a clean installation of QuickBooks. In this case, add “.Old” to the end of the folder names. By doing this, QuickBooks won’t be able to access the folder. Instead, QB will create a new folder.
Move on to the next step at this time.
Step 4: Reinstall QuickBooks Desktop
You are now required to Reinstall the QuickBooks Desktop software. For this, you should download the exe file from the official Intuit website. Subsequently, use the license and product keys acquired at Step 1 to activate and register your QuickBooks software. Check if the error got fixed.
Solution 2: Repair the Microsoft .NET framework from the Control Panel
If the clean install process doesn’t work out for you, then, in that case, you should opt for repairing the Microsoft .NET framework. It becomes indispensable because proper functioning of the Microsoft components is essential for the stability of the QuickBooks Desktop software.
- Head to the Control Panel from the Start
- Now, advance to the Programs and Features tab and choose the Microsoft .NET framework from the list of installed programs.
- Now, choose the Uninstall/Repair option, followed by hitting on Repair.
- Wait for the repair process to conclude. Upon its conclusion, restart the system and then the QuickBooks Desktop to examine if the QuickBooks error message 1646 got resolved.
Solution 3: Clean the folder harboring the temporary files
Cleaning the temporary files can also help in fixing the QuickBooks error 1646. Follow the instructions below:
- To begin with, hit the Win + R keys concurrently to show the Run command window.
- Follow up by typing %temp% within the Run window, and then hit Enter key on your keyboard.
- Now, select all the files by pressing Ctrl + A keys and then hit the Delete key on the keyboard.
- Now, launch the QuickBooks software again and check if the solution helped to fix QuickBooks error 1646.
Solution 4: Update Windows
It is deemed necessary to keep updating your Windows operating system from time to time to avail yourself of the assorted features that come along with each update. Updating the system can also tackle a myriad of errors in both Windows as well as QuickBooks.
- Pick the start menu and then search for update within the search
- After opening the Windows Update window, head for the Search for updates
- Mark all the essential updates and begin the download process.
- Once the downloading process concludes, make sure to restart the system to allow for the automatic installation of the updates.
- Now, run QuickBooks Desktop again and check if you could fix QuickBooks error 1646.
We trust that this guide will assist you to fix QuickBooks Error code 1646. Contact our 24/7 QuickBooks error support Team via our helpline i.e., 1-800-761-1787 if you experience any problems with the error code. Our top priority is to resolve your problems.