Who is the Owner of Discord?
Discord’s origins began with Jason Citron after creating OpenFeint, a similar social platform for gamers that was later sold to GREE. After the sale of OpenFeint in 2012, Jason Citron founded a game development company called Hammer & Chisel, Inc.
Within a few years, Hammer & Chisel, Inc. abandoned the idea of developing games and redirected their resources to Discord, which was released to the public in 2015. Hammer & Chisel, Inc. is now known as Discord Inc.
Jason Citron is thus the founder of Discord and its current CEO. He probably still has a percentage of Discord’s shares.
Jason Citron was not alone in his journey of creating Discord Inc. Stan Vishnevskiy was its co-founder and is also the current CTO of Discord.
The collaboration between Jason and Stan has been a big part of Discord’s success today.
Unfortunately, no public information is available on how many Discord shares Stan owns. However, as a co-founder, it’s safe to assume he still has a high percentage.
To reach its success so quickly, Discord has gone through multiple funding rounds, each generating millions and helping Discord get an organization valuation of over $15 billion.
With each of these investments, investors can acquire a large (or small) piece of ownership on Discord.
Here are all the investors leading these funding rounds:
- Dragoneer Investment Group – Leading investors in the Series H funding round on September 16, 2021. Dragoneer Investment Group and several other investors raised $500 million.
- Sony Interactive Entertainment – Raised $3.3 million in secondary market funding round in 2021 with Sony as the lead investor.
- Greenoaks – Lead investor for a $100 million Series H funding round in 2020 and one in 2018 with $150 million in funding.
- Index Ventures – Raised over $150 million as lead investors in two different funding rounds. One in 2017 and one in 2020.
- Greylock – Led one of the first funding rounds for Discord in 2016 with Spark Capital.
- Spark Capital – Partnered with Greylock as the lead investor for the 2016 million dollar funding round.
We leave you the following video of what Jason Citron had to say about the $500 million funding round.
Other Discord Investors
Naturally, the funding rounds are backed by multiple investors. These other investors also receive a share of ownership of Discord.
Here is a list of all of them:
- Franklin Templeton Investments, Fidelity Management, and Research Company, Coatue, Baillie Gifford, and Sony Interactive Entertainment – All were part of the 2021 funding round led by Dragoneer Investment Group.
- Mindrock Capital – Part of the financing round under the leadership of Sony.
- Tencent – Part of two different funding rounds.
- Technology Opportunity Partners, FirstMark, Institutional Venture Partners – Investors for the 2018 funding round with Greenoaks as a lead investor.
- Benchmark – You have invested in multiple rounds of funding.
- Specialized Types and YouWeb – Investors for the Greylock/Spark Capital funding round.
As you can see, Discord has been through many rounds of funding. However, most of the company’s proprietary information is private.
It could be that some of the major investors, such as Dragoneer Investment Group, have become the majority shareholders of Discord. However, it is also possible for the company’s founders to retain ownership.